To Navigate this page, you may click the links below or scroll down the page.
|State Agencies||General Information About Autism|
|Parent Resources/Support||Autism Articles|
|Books||Autism and Safety|
|How To Make and Do||Social Skills and Communication|
|Sports/Recreation||'How to Make and Do' - Video Instructional Clips|
Rethink Autism for Parents Subscription - Free 1 week trial available
Step-by-step ABA-based video lessons break down complex concepts into short, easy-to-understand steps you can implement immediately.
The Challenge of Potty Training
By Maureen Bennie
Tooth Brushing, Bathing and Other Self-Care Skills
By Family Connect and The American Foundation for the Blind
Flying Can Be a Rough Ride for Autistic Children and Their Families
By Rebecca Kaplan, USA Today
- "Squirmy Wormy: How I Learned to Help Myself" by Lynda Farrington Wilson
- "Arnie and His School Tools: Simple Sensory Solutions That Build Success" by Jennifer Veenendall
- "Why Does Izzy Cover Her Ears? Dealing with Sensory Overload" By Jennifer Veenendall
- "Activity Schedules for Children with Autism Teaching Independent Behavior" By Lynn E. McClannahan, Ph.D. & Patricia J. Krantz, Ph.D.
- "The Autism Checklist A Practical Reference for Parents and Teachers" By Paula Kluth, Ph.D. with John Shouse
- "A Land We Can Share: Teaching Literacy to Students with Autism" By Paula Kluth, Ph.D. & Kelly Chandler-Olcott
- "1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism or Asperger's" By Ellen Notbohm & Veronica Zysk, Forward by Temple Grandin, Ph.D.
- "The Social Skills Picture Book Teaching play, emotion, and communication to children with autism" By Jed Baker, Ph.D.
- "Motivate to Communicate!: 300 Games and Activities for Your Child with Autism" By Simone Griffin & Diane Sandler
- "Autism Transition Planning Guide: Planning the Journey from School to Adult Life" By Carolyn T. Bruey, Psy.D., BCBA & Mary Beth Urban, M.Ed.
AWAARE- General Safety Materials
Dennis Debbaudt's Autism Risk and Safety management Downloadable Resources
Button-Activated Voice Recorders: Mini-Me and Voice-Over may be purchased at Alexander's Shoppe or ARGUS Media LLC 1-203-254-3503
Arc of Bergen and Passaic Counties Special Quest
223 Moore Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Contact: Christine Brand, Coordinator
Is a community based recreation program for children with autism. Offers swimming, gymnastics, music, art and special activities. Staff are trained in and use Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) techniques
Center for Modern Dance Education Learning Through the Arts
84 Euclid Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Contact: Elissa Machlin-Lockwood
Ages 2 to senior citizens. Creative noncompetitive inclusive classes for children and adults. Special class for teens and adults with disabilities
JCC on the Palisades Special Services
411 East Clinton Ave
Tenafly, NJ 07670
Contact: Cheryl Edelstein
Various recreation programs for children through adults
Montclair Riding Academy
12-22 Woodlane Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
Therapeutic horseback riding
Special Angels Recreation
85 Exton Avenue
North Arlington, NJ 07031
Offers t-ball, soccer, basketball, bowling, cheer/dance squad.
Will offer scholarships
Special Olympics New Jersey
Provides sports training and athletic competition to children and adults with intellectual disabilities.